Summer is a great time to be out on a boat. Lowell residents have ready access to the beautiful Flat and Grand rivers, and we are close to many inland lakes as well as Lake Michigan. No matter the body of water, boater safety is an important consideration. Did you know those born on or after July 1, 1996, may legally operate a motorized boat over 6 horsepower only if they have been issued a boating safety certificate and have it in their possession.
1. Be Aware ● Check the Rules & Regulations for the State of Michigan https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/things-to-do/boating/rules-and-regs ● Wear a life jacket
● Accidents happen, be prepared. Life jackets float - you don't. Drowning was reported as
the cause of death in 75%* of all fatalities. ● 86%* of people who drowned in a recreational boating accident were not wearing a life
*Statistics provided from: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/things-to-do/boating/safety
2. Check your boat before going out on the water ● Make sure the boat is properly equipped and all equipment is in good working condition. ● In addition to legally required equipment such as life jackets and fire extinguishers,
always carry a first-aid kit, nautical charts, and an anchor.
● Make sure navigation lights work properly. ● Ensure the cabin of your vessel has appropriate ventilation to prevent
carbon dioxide poisoning.
3. Stay alert ● Watch for other boats, swimmers, skiers and objects in the water. This is especially true
when operating in crowded waterways, at night, and when visibility is restricted.
4. Carry a cell phone or marine radio Be prepared to call for help if: ● You are involved in or witness an accident. ● Your boat or the boat of another becomes disabled. ● You need medical assistance.
5. Take a Boating Safety Course (earn a Boating Safety Certificate)!
One will be offered by Lowell Community Wellness taught by a professional from the Michigan Department of Natural Resources on June 10, from 8AM- 2 PM at the Lowell Chamber of Commerce. This is a free session, but pre-registration is required. To register, contact email@example.com